Community-based Tourism Training of Trainers (CBT-TOT)
With the right tools, the community-based tourism (CBT) training process can deliver great products for tour operators, great experiences for tourists, and significant benefits for local communities and the environment. Without good preparation,
CBT initiatives can under-achieve, waste resources, and cause negative impacts. Success requires expertise in tourism and community development: through community capacity building, product development and marketing. This course will provide
you with tested tools to develop, promote and sell inspiring community based tours, with a focus on business to business (B2B) tourism partnerships.
ITC’s internationally recognised and award-winning business to business (B2B) CBT development process is organised in 5 major steps:C#1 CONSIDER: how to select a CBT destination, build trust and assess potentials;
C#2 CONCEIVE: how to shortlist and design marketable CBT experiences and programs;
C#3 CRAFT: how to build local capacity to welcome tourists and offer tourism services;
C#4 CONNECT: how to build trusting marketing partnerships and business linkages;
C#5 CONSERVE: how to sustain and build on this work.
The goal of this course is to develop your knowledge and skills to facilitate the development of successful, inclusive Community Based Tourism; with a special focus on developing and marketing CBT through international, Business to Business (B2B) tourism supply chains.
This course is aimed at private, public and civil society professionals, who need tested skills and tools to develop or market inspiring, responsible, local tours and experiences. For example:
1. Tourism Facilitators and trainers such as Government, NGO, Academic, CSO and CBO staff who are responsible for developing and marketing community tourism initiatives.
2. The Product and Operations Staff of socially and environmentally responsible tour operators, seeking new skills and tools to develop and market inspiring, fun, safe, responsible local tours.
3. Tourism educators in colleges and universities who want to teach their students about community-based tourism, and how to facilitate and develop successful CBT initiatives.
4. Community leaders who wish to gain new skills and techniques to develop, market, manage and operate fun, safe, responsible tours and experiences in their own communities.
The course is designed to be delivered over 1 month; either through pure online self-study or through a blend of online self-study and online coaching sessions by ITC CBT experts. The course includes modules to introduce CBT, explore each stage of ITC’s ‘5C’ CBT process, and practice applying lessons learned through role plays, challenges and quizzes. Course material is delivered through a diverse blend of videos, case studies, interviews, presentations and games.
NOTE: We recommend using the latest version of the Chrome or Safari browsers to ensure an optimal experience viewing the lectures
- Module 1: Getting to Know Community Based Tourism
- Module 2: Introducing the “5Cs” CBT’s Supply Chain Development Process
- Module 3.1: The 1st: Consider
- Module 3.2: The 2nd C: Conceive
- Module 3.3: The 3rd C: Craft
- Module 3.4: The 4th C: Connect
- Module 3.5: The 5th C: Conserve
- Module 4: Applying What You Have Learned
- Case Study Exercise