This course explores the value and benefits of establishing Geographical Indications (GIs) for local products with unique characteristics. It presents the main elements involved in GI recognition and introduces participants to the different legal options available to protect GIs. Finally, it touches upon the resources and investments needed to establish a GI, and showcases the roadmap and actions necessary to complete the GI recognition process.
NOTE: We recommend using the latest version of the Chrome or Safari browsers to ensure an optimal experience viewing the lectures.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the value and benefits for producers and consumers of establishing a GI for a product;
- Identify and evaluate the conditions and resources required to establish a GI; and
- Plan a roadmap towards establishing a GI.
- Lecture 1: Opportunities in Capturing the Value of Origin
- Lecture 2: Conditions and Resources to Use GIs for Development
- Lecture 3: Establishing a Roadmap for GI Recognition
- Case Study Exercise
- Tutor: Ida Puzone